Oranjemund was officially established in 1936, following Hans Merensky’s discovery of significant alluvial diamond deposits on the north bank of the Orange River and the adjacent northern coastline.
1908: Diamond mining regulations are introduced and the Sperrgebiet (or forbidden territory) is declared.
1920: Sir Ernst Oppenheimer forms Consolidated Diamond Mines of South West Africa (CDM).
1923: CDM concludes the Halbscheid Agreement with South West African Administration, granting CDM the mining rights for the Sperrgebiet.
1943: CDM Head Office moves from Kolmanskop to Oranjemund.
1961: First offshore mining concession granted.
1977: CDM Head Office moves from Kimberley to Windhoek.
1994: An agreement between CDM and the Government of the Republic of Namibia results in the formation of Namdeb Diamond Corporation (Pty) Limited. All De Beers Group existing Namibian mining licenses and related rights are replaced by a consolidated and rationalized mineral agreement.
2010: Project 2050 is initiated, the projects primary objective is to extend the life of sustainable and profitable mining activities beyond 2050.
2011: The Government of the Republic of Namibia declared and proclaimed Oranjemund as a Town.
2012 : First elections for Local Authority Councilors.
2013 – 2014 : Town transformation process of the handover of municipal services from Namdeb- Oranjemund Town Management Company (OTMCo) to the Town Council.